Waterstones announces Book of the Year shortlist for 2017
UK bookselling chain Waterstones has announced the shortlist for its annual Book of the Year award.
The seven shortlisted titles are:
- Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls (Elena Favilli & Francesca Cavallo, Particular Books)
- Lincoln in the Bardo (George Saunders, Bloomsbury)
- La Belle Sauvage: The Book of Dust Volume One (Philip Pullman, Penguin)
- Mr Lear (Jenny Uglow, Faber)
- Talking to My Daughter about the Economy (Yanis Varoufakis, Random House)
- A Skinful of Shadows (Frances Hardinge, Macmillan)
- The Lost Words (Robert Macfarlane, illus by Jackie Morris, Hamish Hamilton).
Waterstones MD James Daunt said the ‘absence of bestseller thunder’ this year had brought out ‘the best in our booksellers who in their magpie way have picked out all manner of jewels’.
The winner will be chosen by a Waterstones panel headed by Daunt, and will be announced on 30 November.
For more information about the shortlisted titles visit the Waterstones website here.