PEN America Literary Awards 2018 winners announced
In the US, Pen America has announced the winners of its 2018 Literary Awards.
Among the award winners are:
PEN/Jean Stein Book Award
- Whereas (Layli Long Soldier, Graywolf Press)
PEN/Robert W Bingham Prize for Debut Fiction
- Sour Heart (Jenny Zhang, Bloomsbury)
PEN Open Book Award (for an exceptional work of literature by an author of colour)
- A Moonless, Starless Sky: Ordinary Women and Men Fighting Extremism in Africa (Alexis Okeowo, Little, Brown)
PEN Translation Prize
- Katalin Street (Magda Szabó, trans by Len Rix, NYRB Classics)
PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay
- No Time to Spare (Ursula K Le Guin, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
PEN/E O Wilson Literary Science Writing Award
- The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister’s Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine (Lindsey Fitzharris, Allen Lane)
PEN/ESPN Award for Literary Sports Writing
- Ali: A Life (Jonathan Eig, S&S)
To view the full list of category award winners, click here.
The winners were announced at the 2018 PEN America Literary Awards Ceremony in New York City.
A number of lifetime and career achievement prizes were also awarded. Edmund White won the PEN/Saul Bellow Award for Achievement in American Fiction for his body of work, while Irish novelist Edna O’Brien received the PEN/Nabokov Award for Achievement in International Literature. Career achievement awards were also handed out for poetry, translation, sports writing and theatre. For the full list of winners, click here.