Shortlists announced for 2018 Carnegie, Greenaway medals
In the UK, the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) has announced the shortlists for the 2018 Carnegie and Kate Greenaway medals.
The eight shortlisted titles for the Carnegie Medal, presented to the writer of an outstanding children’s book, are:
- Wed Wabbit (Lissa Evans, David Fickling Books)
- After the Fire (Will Hill, Usborne)
- Where the World Ends (Geraldine McCaughrean, Usborne)
- Rook (Anthony McGowan, Barrington Stoke)
- Release (Patrick Ness, Walker Books)
- Saint Death (Marcus Sedgwick, Hachette)
- The Hate U Give (Angie Thomas, Walker Books)
- Beyond the Bright Sea (Lauren Wolk, Penguin Random House).
The shortlisted titles for the Kate Greenaway Medal, which recognises ‘distinguished illustration’ in children’s books, are:
- King of the Sky (illus by Laura Carlin, written by Nicola Davies, Walker Books)
- Night Shift (Debi Gliori, Bonnier Zaffre)
- A First Book of Animals (illus by Petr Horácek, written by Nicola Davies, Walker Books)
- The Song from Somewhere Else (illus by Levi Pinfold, written by A F Harrold, Bloomsbury)
- Town is by the Sea (illus by Sydney Smith, written by Joanne Schwartz, Walker Books)
- Thornhill (Pam Smy, David Fickling Books)
- Under the Same Sky (Britta Teckentrup, Little Tiger Press).
Chair of judges Jake Hope said the scope of this year’s shortlists is ‘truly global’. ‘The titles explore topical issues with remarkable emotional honesty embracing themes of prejudice, personal growth and development whilst eliciting a wider understanding of the wonders and complexities of the world young people inhabit,’ said Hope.
The winners for both medals will be announced on 18 June, with each winner receiving a cash prize of £5000 (A$8950) and £500 (A$895) worth of books to donate to their local library. One title from each shortlist will also be awarded the Amnesty CILIP Honour, which recognises a title that ‘most distinctively illuminates, upholds or celebrates freedoms’.
As previously reported by Books+Publishing, Storm Whale (illus by Jane Tanner, written by Sarah Brennan, A&U) was one of 20 titles longlisted for the Kate Greenaway medal.
For more information, click here.