Folio Prize 2020 shortlist announced
In the UK, the shortlist for the £30,000 (A$59,000) Rathbones Folio Prize has been announced.
The eight shortlisted titles are:
- Guest House for Young Widows (Azadeh Moaveni, Scribe)
- On Chapel Sands (Laura Cumming, Chatto & Windus)
- Constellations (Sinéad Gleeson, Picador)
- Grand Union (Zadie Smith, Hamish Hamilton)
- Lost Children Archive (Valeria Luiselli, Fourth Estate)
- Victory (James Lasdun, Vintage)
- The Topeka School (Ben Lerner, Granta)
- Vertigo & Ghost (Fiona Benson, Jonathan Cape).
The shortlist comprises four works of fiction, three works of nonfiction and one poetry collection, with Penguin Random House receiving four nominations.
All the books considered for the prize are nominated by the Folio Academy, an international group of writers and critics, and the award is open to any English-language book regardless of form. Last year, Raymond Antrobus became the first poet to win the prize for his collection The Perseverance (Penned in the Margins).
The 2020 winner will be announced in London on 23 March. For more information about the prize, see the Folio Prize website.