Republic of Consciousness Prize 2022 shortlist announced
In the UK, the shortlist for the 2022 Republic of Consciousness Prize for Small Presses has been announced.
The books shortlisted for this year’s prize are:
- Dark Neighbourhood (Vanessa Onwuemezi, Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Happy Stories, Mostly (Norman Erikson Pasaribu, trans by Tiffany Tsao, Tilted Axis Press)
- Our Lady of the Nile (Scholastique Mukasonga, trans by Melanie Mauthner, Daunt Books)
- The Song of Youth (Montserrat Roig, trans by Tiago Miller, Fum D’Estampa Press)
- Sterling Karat Gold (Isabel Waidner, Peninsula Press).
Happy Stories, Mostly, by Indonesian writer Norman Erikson Pasaribu, is translated by Sydney-based writer and translator Tiffany Tsao and published in Australia by Giramondo. It has also been longlisted for the 2022 International Booker Prize, with Tsao the first Australia-based translator to be recognised in the history of the prize.
Launched in 2017, the Republic of Consciousness Prize for Small Presses recognises ‘brave, bold and brilliant’ literature from small presses in the UK. Each of the shortlisted presses receive £1500 (A$2600).