Wilderness Society children’s book award shortlist announced
The shortlist for the Wilderness Society’s 2013 Environment Award for Children’s Literature, which promotes ‘caring and responsibility for the environment’, has been announced.
The shortlisted books in the Preschool category are:
- Our Nest is Best! (Penny Olsen & Penny O’ Hara, NLA Publishing)
- Kangaroos Hop (Ros Moriarty & Balarinji, A&U)
- The Last Dance (Sally Morgan, Little Hare).
The shortlisted books in the Primary category are:
- Ten Tiny Things (Meg McKinlay & Kyle Hughes-Odgers, Fremantle Press)
- Tanglewood (Margaret Wild & Vivienne Goodman, Omnibus Books)
- Bizi the Musk Duck of Barren Box Swamp (Ann-Maree Thompson).
According to the Wilderness Society website, books must promote ‘caring for the natural environment’ by highlighting an environmental issue or creating ‘a sense of awe and wonder for the natural world’ to be eligible for the award. The award is open to fiction and nonfiction.
The award is judged by a panel of environmental educators and two guest judges. This year’s guest judges are authors Jackie French and Mark Norman, who have both won the award in previous years.
Winners will be announced at a ceremony on World Environment Day on 5 June. For more information, visit the Wilderness Society website here.
Category: Local news