Top ‘Books+Publishing’ stories, reviews of 2016
In October, Books+Publishing reported on the imminent arrival of a new bar and bookshop in Melbourne specialising in Irish whiskey and Irish literature. Our story on Buck Mulligan’s—which has since opened its doors—was our most popular news story of the year. We happen to think our readers have pretty good taste!
Awards announcements also grabbed the attention of our readers: specifically, the CBCA Notable Books, the Miles Franklin Literary Award longlist and shortlist, and the Patrick White Literary Award; as did our story on the bestselling Australian adult fiction and nonfiction titles of 2015-16—led by Rosalie Ham’s The Dressmaker (Duffy & Snellgrove) and Sarah Wilson’s I Quit Sugar: Simplicious (Macmillan).
Most viewed Books+Publishing stories of the past year:
- Bookshop-whiskey bar to open in Melbourne
- CBCA Notable Books for 2016 announced
- Miles Franklin Literary Award 2016 shortlist announced
- Miles Franklin Literary Award 2016 longlist announced
- ‘The Dressmaker’, ‘I Quit Sugar’ top 2015-16 Australian adult bestsellers charts
- Pan Mac scales down Momentum publishing program; Naoum steps down
- Carmel Bird wins 2016 Patrick White Literary Award
- Avenue Bookstore expands with new Richmond shop
- Printer turns down anti same-sex marriage title due to its ‘subject matter and content’
- Brisbane Writers Festival 2016 program launched
In 2016, Books+Publishing also published close to 250 pre-publication reviews of Australian and New Zealand originated titles.
Most viewed Books+Publishing reviews of the past year:
- I Just Couldn’t Wait to Meet You (Kate Ritchie, illus by Hannah Sommerville, Random House), 3 stars, reviewed by Louise Pfanner
- The Paper House (Anna Spargo-Ryan, Picador), 4 stars, reviewed by Portia Lindsay
- The Good People (Hannah Kent, Picador), 4 stars, reviewed by Lindy Jones
- The Island Will Sink (Briohny Doyle, The Lifted Brow), 3.5 stars, reviewed by Veronica Sullivan
- The Hate Race (Maxine Beneba Clarke, Hachette), 5 stars, reviewed by Amy Vuleta
- Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil (Melina Marchetta, Viking), 5 stars, reviewed by Fiona Hardy
- Play On! The Hidden History of Women’s Australian Rules Football (Brunette Lenkic & Rob Hess, Echo Publishing), 4 stars, reviewed by Lou Heinrich
- Incredibilia (Libby Hathorn, illus by Gaye Chapman, Little Hare), 4 stars, reviewed by Margaret Hamilton
- Everywhere I Look (Helen Garner, Text), 5 stars, reviewed by David Gaunt
- Talking to My Country (Stan Grant, HarperCollins), 3.5 stars, reviewed by Veronica Sullivan
Finally, Books+Publishing also published over 350 job ads in 2016.
Don’t miss out on next year’s book-industry news, pre-publication reviews and job ads. Sign up to Books+Publishing here. Industry membership and student discounts apply. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Category: Recently published by B+P