Young shortlisted for 2019 Folio Prize
New Zealand writer Ashleigh Young has been shortlisted for the UK’s Rathbones Folio Prize. Her Windham-Campell Prize-winning essay collection Can You Tolerate This? (Giramondo) is one of eight books in the running for the £30,000 (A$56,000) prize.
The other shortlisted titles are:
- The Perseverance (Raymond Antrobus, Penned in the Margins)
- Milkman (Anna Burns, Faber)
- West (Carys Davies, Text)
- Ordinary People (Diana Evans, Vintage)
- There There (Tommy Orange, Vintage)
- The Crossway (Guy Stagg, Picador)
- Mary Ann Sate, Imbecile (Anna Jolly, Unbound).
Chosen from a longlist of 20 titles announced in March, the Rathbones Folio Prize is awarded to the best work of literature, regardless of form, written in English and published in the UK. The winner will be announced on Monday, May 20.